Bonds, hybrids and other debt securities can be added under account 72000 Debt Securities in the Chart of Accounts.
|From the Main Toolbar, go to Accounting.
|Select Chart of accounts from the list.
- From the Chart of Accounts screen, select Add Account and select Investment. The New Investment Account screen will appear.
- Under the Account Class heading, select Sub Account.
Choose the Investment Type as Debt Securities. This will determine the account number used in the chart for the created investment.
- Attach a security to this investment. SF360 will now produce an INVESTCODE and name (this is editable upon creation only). If the security does not appear in the drop down list, select Create New to add the security to the list. Refer to the Securities Screen for steps.
Next, select More Details to input the following information for the investment:
System - More Details Label Unitised Investment will appear by default. Leave this.
SF360 will select the appropriate tax return label. The tax label is based on the fund's current financial year and the ATO tax return labels of that particular year.
In House Status
Select the In House Status of the investment (if applicable).
Asset subject to CGT
By default this check box is ticked. This asset is subject to CGT upon disposal.
Displayed in this section are the linked accounts to the investment that have been created by SF360. Select Add Link Account to add another linked account to the investment or Delete to remove a linked account. SF360 will create income, expense and liability accounts for the investment.
At a later date, if you need to add linked income and expense accounts refer to Linked Accounts.
Does your bond received franked income? Setup a 23900 Dividend linked account.
- Once you have finished inputting the investment account information, select Save to add the investment account to the chart of accounts or Cancel to not add the account.
- From the Transaction List (Accounting >> Transaction List) screen, select New Transaction. From the drop down list, select Bank Statement.
- Input the purchase date and a reference number (Simple Fund 360 will automatically produce a reference number, but it is editable). You can include a description of the purchase in the Description box.
- Under the Account heading, select the bank account from the Select an account box. Click on the next Select an account box. Begin typing and select account 72000/INVESTCODE.
- Input the acquisition price of the bond in the Debit column and unit(s).
- Select Post.
Bonds need to be revalued manually. Refer to Manually Revaluing Security Prices.